Thursday, December 29, 2011

What is Melancholy, Why Do I Have It and What Can I Do About It?

Melancholy: ('melenkoli) n. 1. sadness, dejection, gloom


We are complex human beings with different personalities and attitudes.  We experience a lot of the same things in life - tragedy, loss, change, disappointment, financial stress, etc., but all these things affect all of us differently.  Take for instance the fact that when change happens in my husband and my life, he fully embraces it, while I (even though have learned to accept change) will become somewhat melancholy because of the change.  I just experienced three major changes in my life.  One I decided for myself, one was inevitable, and one I didn't see coming.  This threw me into a state of melancholy.  The way we deal with things in our lives as adults goes all the way back to how we were raised as children.  Now that we know what melancholy is and why I have it, let's talk about what I can do about it.  When I reflect on the fact that a dear, sweet woman, that I know, lost her husband of some 40+ years this Christmas season, my melancholy pales in comparison to hers.  Always remember, that as bad as you think things are for you there is always someone worst off.  I refuse to stay in a melancholy state.  I'm going to eat some ice cream; play some music; talk with a friend; watch a comedy; go for a walk; pray and thank God for another day; read something uplifting like this - The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy.  My purpose is to give them rich and satisfying life. (John 10:10/NLT)  It is okay to experience melancholy, but don't stay there.  Fight for your right to live the free life that Jesus died to give us so many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment