Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Day Once Again

I was inspired to write about my Christmas day after I read my husband's blog.

I don't feel like any of my memories of Christmas were selfish because I was very naive.  I thought Santa existed until the age of 12 years.  I had no expectations about what I was going to get.  I was grateful for whatever I got.  We lived a modest (some would say poor) life.  Aunt Mamie, our Godmother, raised us, me and my sisters.  Aunt Mamie loved the Lord, and all His people, and these are the principles she instilled in us.  So Christmas was a concentrated focus of what we did and had every day.  Of course there were things that happened only for, and on Christmas, but it was the simple things that impressed me.  Aunt Mamie made brown sugar cookies and brownies (we would each get our own tin container full of these homemade, delightful sweets).  The Christmas tree would be six feet tall, and the house was filled with cooked food and baked goods smells, family, fun, new gifts, and love.  That's what Christmas was to me as a child.

Christmas for me as an adult has lost it's magic, but it's okay because that is just the natural perspective.  I know now that Christmas is not about you or me, but it is about the greatest gift that can ever be given to any individual - JESUS!  The gift that keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment